To know about the highest-paying digital marketing jobs, let us first understand what digital marketing is, why it is trending, and why it can prove a good career choice.
What is Digital Marketing?
Millions of people use the Internet daily for various purposes. Some use it to search for particular information, some to find a job, and some to use it just for their online presence on a social media platform.
With online media skyrocketing, digital marketing has almost become mandatory for every company in any industry. Digital marketing has become vital to the global economy and has been the fastest-growing industry. It is one of the most lucrative industries in the modern world.
Why Digital Marketing is Required?
Marketing has always been about connecting with your audience in the right place and at the right time. And with online marketing, reaching the target audience is easy as most are online. This shows that digital marketing is not just the new trend but one of the effective ways to reach prospective customers in less cost.
Some common forms of digital marketing are SEO, search engine marketing, content marketing, social media marketing, email marketing, inbound marketing, and affiliate marketing. The most used assets for the same are the website, blog posts, social platforms, whitepapers, infographics, branding assets, and ebooks.
Why should one Build a Career in Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing is a very exciting, fast-moving, and creative field. As organizations invest more and more in digital marketing and online branding, there has been a huge surge in recruitment for digital marketing experts. However, the demand for expert professionals in this field cannot meet the same supply. Hence, any prospective candidate with a certain level of expertise and hands-on in this field comes under the radar of the desired employee. However, there are certain skills that are important and high-paying in the job market.
List of Top 5 highest paying digital marketing jobs and skills in 2024
SEO is the science of optimizing a particular website for a search engine. It deals with a website’s technicalities, like code, information architecture, etc.
SEO can also be termed as a form of art to make the website search engine friendly as it also deals with user search.
However, with regular updates in the algorithms of search engines, SEO has become mandatory for every company’s website. Hence, website owners or companies are looking for professionals who tackle the latest search engine algorithms and get the top search rank. These professionals are termed as SEO experts, SEO professionals, or SEO consultants.
The segment has emerged as a hotspot for job opportunities and is in high demand. SEO has become a necessary skill for everybody, from a blogger to web designers.
To gain hands-on experience, one should start an SEO career with an entry-level job as an SEO executive. With experience, one either move on to higher job profiles or studies further in relevant subjects. A prospective candidate’s alternative SEO career path could be freelancing and consultancy. Some of the common job openings in SEO are that of SEO trainee, SEO Analyst, SEO Trainer, Link building expert, SEO project manager, and much more.
Salary: The salary for an SEO executive starts from around Rs. 1,20,000. A 4 years experience person gets an average salary of 4,50,000 to Rs. 6,00,000. 8 years+ experience person gets on an average 9,50,000 to Rs. 15,00,000.
A search engine optimizer could graduate to head of digital marketing as, during his journey, he acquires basic knowledge of other areas in Digital marketing.
PPC stands for pay-per-click, meaning one needs to be paid every time one of their ads is clicked. There is another form of the rate, which is called CPM. This stands for cost per impression. The 3 top players in the PPC are Google PPC Online Advertising, Bing Ads, Facebook Advertising
As we can see around us, there are fewer and fewer advertisements in radio, newspaper, and even TV advertising; thus, ad spending has decreased relatively. However, digital spending in search and mobile advertising areas has increased steeply. Hence there are huge job opportunities in PPC. But the following are certain mandatory traits for a prospective candidate.
- Adaptability: PPC is an ever-changing field with a new update almost every day. Hence one needs to be aware of every update happening in the industry.
- Calculative: Though one does not have to be math-oriented completely, one needs a calculative approach, for there are many metrics and analytics.
- Creative: Other than dealing with AdWords or its operations, writing an ad text creatively is also required.
- Excel: Excelling in Microsoft Excel is a plus as most of the paid search campaigns are built in excel.
Salary: The starting salary for a PPC professional, on average, is similar to SEO, i.e., Rs. 1,00,000. It grows to Rs. 4 – 6,00,000 for a 4 – 6 years experience person. It goes from 12 to Rs. 20,00,000 for a very experienced person.
3. Email Marketing
As the name goes, email marketing is the act of sending commercial messages through email. It usually involves sending an email for advertisements, requesting business, and selling to prospective clients. Email marketing is not a single-person job. To succeed in an email marketing campaign, an organization must have a team of professionals to execute it effectively. A set of specialized skills is required, and we will discuss some of them below.
- Strategy: If the strategy is not in place, most of the campaigns will end up bringing poor results. The adhoc campaigns might not work in it. A strategist could plan the campaign and align it with other marketing strategies. He should create a strategy for both long-term and ad-hoc activities.
- Graphic design: Once the plan is in place, a graphic designer will be required to develop email templates that align with the strategy. Visually the design needs to be appealing and should fulfill the business goals.
- Copywriting : An expert writer is required to outline the concept in simple words. It cannot be done by anybody as it is a specialized job and requires experience.
- Analytics: An email marketing manager should be an expert in data administration and analytics. As they say, “If you cannot measure something, you cannot improve it.”
- Management: A right person for the job should be aware of major online email delivery tools, CRM and top marketing automation tools.
Salary: Email marketing in itself is not a specialized profession. It combines analytics, design, usability, data analysis, experience, etc. Hence, the number of job opportunities in this is not huge. A manager works with several team members in different domains to get the desired output. The entry-level professional salary ranges from Rs. 80,000 to Rs. 1,00,000. It could go up to Rs. 10,00,000 for very experienced people.
4. Content Marketing
Content Marketing is a strategic marketing approach wherein creative and focused content is created to attract and retain customers. It is the latest fad as every company is looking for unique content to stay ahead in search results. Moreover, search algorithms have also changed their code by the content. The latest research shows that unique content, the more effective search results.
Since the concept of content marketing is new (the youngest), there is a lot of confusion around it. Often people confuse it with PR. Yes, it helps to brand, but it is not a PR activity. Let us look at some of the top areas that need to be covered.
Strategy: Before an article is created, a video is made, or an ebook is developed, one needs to have a plan. A plan goes much deeper than one might think. The elements of the plan include –
- What are the goes the company wants to achieve, and how will they be measured?
- Who are the target audience?
- How is the content going to help the target user?
- How is the voice of content different than millions of other content pieces around the web?
- Is the calendar in place?
- What is the approval process?
- Who will write the content – in-house, freelancer, or outsourced agency?
- If multiple people are developing content, how is consistency ascertained?
- Who is finalizing the concept?
- Is the proofreading done by the developer, or is there a separate team for that?
Content Integration: Content development cannot be a standalone exercise. It should integrate with whatever is happening in a company. Content marketing will benefit SEO, Sales, Social Media, etc. All the people working on these channels should have a say in the content marketing efforts.
It might be wrong to recruit one person for all three jobs. At least two people might be required for a small content marketing campaign. One of the best location to know more about content marketing is Hubspot.
Salary: Content Marketing people are the most sought-after professional as of today. Their salaries are also one of the best in the industry. It starts from Rs. 2,50,000 for entry-level jobs. It could go up to Rs. 12,00,000 for a person with 5-6 years of experience.
5. Data Analytics
One of the important characteristics of a prospective digital marketing person should be data analytics. One is subjected to various kinds of data concerning finance behind ads, graphs indicating performance on social media platforms, etc.
Moreover, most websites are linked to Google analytics to extract different parameters concerning their performance.
Hence, every prospective candidate requires hands-on with Google analytics. Additionally, a general data analysis perspective is also required.
Salary: They are the smallest bunch of people in any digital marketing team. The salary starts from Rs. 2,50,000 and could go up to Rs. 15,00,000 for experienced professional.
Job Market Demand for Top Digital Marketing Skills in 2024
|Digital Marketing Skill
|Job Market Demand
|High demand in sectors like e-commerce, agencies, and tech startups
|Very high demand in digital agencies, e-commerce, and companies with significant online advertising budgets
|Consistent demand across industries, particularly in B2C companies
|High demand in all sectors, especially in B2B, healthcare, education, and tech industries
|Very high demand in all industries, crucial for decision making and strategy
Essential Tools and Platforms for Digital Marketing Skills
|Digital Marketing Skill
|Google Analytics, SEMrush, Ahrefs, Moz
|Google Ads, Bing Ads, Facebook Ads Manager
|Mailchimp, Constant Contact, SendinBlue
|WordPress, Yoast SEO, Canva, BuzzSumo
|Google Analytics, Tableau, Microsoft Power BI, SQL
FAQs for Highest Paying Digital Marketing Skills
What skills do you need for marketing in 2024?Things changed after AI took over the internet by storm, primarily ChatGPT. Below are some of the skills you might require surviving in 2024 as a digital marketer –
- Data Analysis: Ability to analyze large amounts of data will be a critical skill for marketers.
- AI and Automation: Experience working with AI-powered tools will surely be in high demand.
- Creativity: You should be skilled enough to create innovative and attention-grabbing campaigns beyond what ChatGPT suggests.
- Social Media Management: Ability to create engaging content, manage social media accounts, and analyze social media metrics.
- Adaptability: One needs to adapt quickly to new trends and technologies as they are changing now with each passing week.
Is digital marketing a good career in 2024?Yes, digital marketing is expected to remain a good career choice in 2024. The importance of online channels is on the rise, and companies will continue to invest in digital marketing in the coming years. Data analysis, creativity, and adaptability are three skills in demand, which can lead to many career opportunities.
What is the next major trend in digital marketing in 2024?Below are a few major trends that will pick up further in 2024 –
- Voice Search Optimization: Lot of new devices like smart speakers and voice assistants in gaining popularity. Optimizing content for them might become critical for the digital marketer in the coming months.
- Augmented Reality (AR): AR technology, too, is gaining popularity and will grow bigger in the coming future. Digital marketers have to leverage AR technology to enhance the brand experience for customers.
- Personalization: Personalization is already big, and it will get bigger in the coming months. With the help of AI-powered tools, personalization will be a major activity and keep marketers busy going forward.
- Privacy and Data Protection: Marketers who prioritize data privacy and transparency are going to have a competitive advantage in 2024.